[This is a sponsored article with BigPay.]
Personally, I find the number of e-wallet choices we have in Malaysia intimidating. You can feel the same too, even more if you’ve never used one before.
Whenever the government tries to increase digital payment adoption by offering incentives to Malaysians, it leads to the age-old question: “Which e-wallet should I choose?”
This time the initiative is called eBelia and you are eligible if you are:
- A Malaysian citizen aged 18 to 20 in 2021 (born between 2001 and 2003), OR
- A full-time graduate student, SKM4 or above, at a local registered higher education institution.
If you belong to either of the categories, you can claim RM150 with BigPay from June 1 to July 22. Why BigPay in particular? Well, let’s break it down for you.
1. It comes with a free physical card (and soon a virtual card too)
Opening a BigPay account automatically grants you a physical credit card. In short: you don’t need to search for a specific QR code or partner merchant to pay. It gives you a lot more freedom than any other e-wallet.
Whether online or offline, your BigPay card works like a debit card. You just need to recharge it. So if you are a student or between 18 and 20 years old, you can use your eBelia RM150 credit for:
- Order food from McDonald’s or KFC
- Buy clothes at H&M or on ZALORA
- Take a hand in going out with your friends
- Buy a week of groceries
We talked about accessibility via the BigPay card, and proof of this is that it can be used in 800,000 locations in Malaysia only, online and offline, without being limited to specific merchants.
If a store doesn’t accept e-wallets or the BigPay e-wallet in particular, that’s okay. Wherever Visa or Mastercard is accepted, so will the BigPay card. We were told that BigPay is going to launch soon virtual cards for its users. You will basically have two numbers: one for your physical card and one for your virtual card. This is great for protecting your online transactions and it also means that you will be able to start using your BigPay account without having to wait for the card to arrive in the mail.
2. It provides an extra layer of security
Even after the eBelia initiative, you can continue to use the card for your purchases.
It’s good to note that the BigPay app comes with an extra layer of security that most other banks don’t. If you have lost your card, you can simply freeze it and have it replaced. With a traditional debit or credit card, you would spend time on the phone trying to cancel a lost card, when it could potentially result in more expense.
3. It has money tracking features
Many students and recent graduates are just starting to manage expenses personally; those who are still studying may not earn much, if at all. As a frequent BigPay user, you will also be able to get rid of other budgeting apps that take up space in your phone, as the e-wallet has built-in tracking and analysis features.
Your spending is categorized for easy viewing so you can see at a glance where you’re spending your money, whether it’s health and beauty products, food and drink, and more. The analyzes then help you identify your spending trends, allowing you to maintain tighter control over your money.
4. There is a 20 RM bonus if you are new to the app.
To give extra welcome to new app users, BigPay adds a RM20 bonus upon registration. This is applicable to everyone, whether or not you are eligible for the eBelia initiative.
If you are a new user, you can claim the RM20 via the promo code PCEBELIABP during registration.
5. There are more promotions and offers coming June 1st
For now, BigPay is teasing that there are a lot more offers coming once June 1 rolls around and you can claim your eBelia credit.
We’ll update this article with details once it’s announced, so check back after June 1.
– // –
Claiming your RM150 is easy. On June 1, all you need to do is:
- Download the BigPay app on your phone (available on iOS and Android),
- Create a BigPay account or log in if you are an existing user,
- Go to the “Payments” tab and press the “eBelia” tab,
- Click on ‘Apply Now’ and you will be redirected to the eBelia program website,
- Enter the requested details.
Although eBelia RM150 credit can be used for many purchases, note that there are some transactions it does not apply to. These include:
- Peer-to-peer transfers or withdrawals
- Utility bills or government related fees / payments
- Postpaid bill payments / prepaid top-ups
- Game purchases
- Overseas merchants
- Recharges electronic wallets (ShopeePay, GrabPay, etc.)
- You can find out more about eBelia through BigPay here.
Our sincere thanks to