Prince william says he is downright “disgusted” that black England footballers were the target of racial abuse on Sunday … calling the disgusting comments “totally unacceptable”.
Racists spat vile words at Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford and Bukayo Saka – who are black – having all missed kicks in England’s penalty shootout loss to Italy in the Euro 2020 Championship game … and it didn’t take William long to rush to their defense.
The 39-year-old posted a harsh statement on social media, writing: “It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this heinous behavior. It must stop now and everyone involved must be held accountable.”
William’s words are certainly commendable – given the racial abuse players have received, ranging from n-word rants to outright threats – but they didn’t come without some criticism from onlookers.
Some on social media wondered why William hadn’t released a similar statement after Meghan markle Told Oprah earlier this year she had been the victim of racial abuse by members of the royal family.
As for English football officials, they too condemned the racism to which their players were subjected … saying they were “disgusted” and “dismayed” by all this.
“We are disgusted that some of our team – who gave their all for the shirt this summer – suffered discriminatory abuse online after tonight’s game,” the team said.
“We stand in solidarity with our players.”
The England Football Association added: “The FA strongly condemns all forms of discrimination and is appalled at the online racism which targets some of our English players on social media.”
“We couldn’t be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behavior is unwelcome to follow the team. We will do our utmost to support the players concerned while demanding the harshest penalties possible for any responsible person. “
Metropolitan Police say they are aware of the comments … and are now committed to investigating all of it, saying in a statement on Sunday: “This abuse is completely unacceptable.”
“This will not be tolerated and will be investigated.”
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson also condemned the racist remarks, adding in his own statement: “This England team deserves to be hailed as heroes, not racist abuse on social media.”
“Those responsible for these appalling abuses should be ashamed of themselves.”