10:36 am PT – We just spoke with Mike Tyson and asked him the question everyone wants to know – is this a real fight or rather a wacky and fun show?
Tyson insists he will go FULL FORCE – saying “TMZ Live”, “Anyone who knows me, I don’t know how [take my foot off the gas]. I just know one way to fight and that’s exactly what it is. “
In other words, Tyson says it’s a REAL FIGHT.
Tyson also insists he doesn’t fight to get rich – his share goes to charity because he has dedicated his life to helping people.
10:36 am PT – Boxing legend admits he went through hell with cocaine, alcohol and weight problems – and is now a whole different person, focused on health and philanthropy.
We also spoke with Roy Jones Jr. who is very excited for the fight – telling us he’s been up for it for years!
Roy knows Tyson will be chasing heads from the opening bell – but insists he has a huge conditioning advantage over Mike.
“If he doesn’t kill fast, he’s got some issues with his hands,” Roy tells TMZ Sports … “If he doesn’t kill fast, his ass is mine!”
“I know what it feels like to do 8 rounds, he gave up – You must have forgotten – did you hear me ??!”
MIKE TYSON JUST RESERVED HIS FIRST COMEBACK COMEBACK – AND IT’S AGAINST ROY JONES JR. !!
The 54-year-old boxing legend is training to return to the ring … and now we’ve learned that his first opponent is one of the greatest fighters of all time!
“Iron” Mike will take on Roy Jones Jr. on September 12 in an 8-round exhibit titled Frontline Battle – available on Pay-per-view and the social media platform Triller.
We’re told the fight will take place in California – and will be sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission.
The event will feature an undercard and live musical performances from top artists – and since Triller is backed by big stars like To spy, Lil wayne, Future, The weekend, Pit bull, Marshmello and more – the entertainment has to be solid enough!
FYI, Triller is a fast-growing social media platform that strives to win over the TikTok crowd – and although it previously focused on music (including partnerships with major labels), it does. now a concentrated foray into live events, including sports.
Tyson spoke about a return for months and received massive offers – so, we’re guessing Triller shelled out a lot of money to land the rights to his first comeback fight.
There’s more … we also learned that Triller has locked the rights to a 10-part documentary series starring Mike and Roy preparing for their fight … with 2 episodes falling each week until the fight night, streaming on the platform.
When it comes to fighters, RJJ is 51 – and held titles in 4 different weight classes … middleweight, super middleweight, lightweight and heavyweight.
Roy recently got into a fight in February 2018 – but he trains constantly and feels he can compete with Tyson.
Of course, Tyson hasn’t had a professional fight since June 2005 … and struggled with drug addiction and weight issues after his retirement.
But now Tyson says he’s made health and fitness a priority again – and wants to return to the ring to help raise money for charity.
Tyson had already told us his the sights were fixed sure Evander Holyfield in a comeback fight … and we’re told it’s still a possibility down the road – but the first is Roy.
RJJ has had 75 professional fights – with an unreal 66-9 record. He has wins over guys like Antonio Tarver, Felix Trinidad, James toney, Bernard hopkins and Vinny Paz.
Tyson was 50-6 as a pro – with wins over guys like Larry holmes, Michael spinks, Trevor Berbick and more.
Originally posted – 8:41 AM PT