Ellen degeneres and Portia de Rossi were inside their Montecito mansion when it was broken into, but the thief still managed to get in and out without being detected … so they turned the place into a fortress.
TMZ broke the story … the heist took place on July 4, and now sources with direct knowledge of the investigation tell us the couple were at home. Fortunately, they were not injured – it is not known if they had any contact with the suspect (s), who fled with jewelry.
We are told the entry point for burglary was a backdoor, and no one was captured on surveillance footage – however, Ellen and Portia make sure it doesn’t happen again.
Our sources say they made a series of security improvements immediately after the break-in – including hiring a new security company, installing laser sensors and cameras throughout the property, and hiring guards. armed patrol.
As we first reported … The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office said the crooks escaped with high-value jewelry and watches and appear to have targeted Ellen’s place due to of his celebrity status.
It is not known if the heist is linked to other celebrity heists in the greater Los Angeles area. The sheriff’s office says it is working with other law enforcement agencies to investigate.
We’ve reached out to Ellen’s reps … so far no word in return.