BUNNY BUTT CUPCAKES (LOW-SUGAR )
* This post is sponsored by SPLENDA. The opinions and information presented here are our own.
If you’re looking for a fun and whimsical treat to make that Easter holiday or to celebrate spring, then these low sugar bunny tipped cupcakes are perfect! In this article, we show you how we built these adorable bunny butt cupcakes so you can recreate them in your own kitchen. Plus, you don’t have to feel guilty about eating these cupcakes as they are made without all of the extra sugar that can be found in typical cupcake recipes!
To keep those cupcakes low in sugar (and calories), we used the granulated version of SPLENDA® Calorie-Free Sweetener, which is a wonderfully sweet but sugar-free substitute made specifically for baking. Granulated SPLENDA® not only tastes like sugar, but measures cup for cup like real sugar. It can be used almost anywhere sugar is used and stays sweet at high temperatures, so it’s great for cutting back on calories and carbs in all of your favorite sweet recipes.
Health advice: Using granulated SPLENDA instead of real sugar can save you 678 calories per cup in your recipes. That’s a lot of calories!
Here are the four different ingredients you’ll need to make these low sugar bunny cakes:
- Rabbit’s feet with sugar-free sugar cookies
- The Bunny Tails (mini marshmallows, white glitter)
- Grass & Rabbit Body Buttercream Frosting (White & Green)
Time needed to prepare these cupcakes:
Allow about 4 hours of total working time, including baking, cooling and decorating. The bunny cookie, bunny tails and decorative icing can be made the night before.
STEP 1: MAKE RABBIT’S FEET COOKIE PIECES
- To make the bunny’s feet for these cupcakes, we started by baking this Sugar Free Sugar Cookies Recipe. Roll out the dough to about ⅛ of an inch thick, then use a small (1-1 / 4 inch) oval cookie cutter to cut out the feet.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, making sure they stay blonde. We don’t want any browning that might appear after dipping them in white chocolate. Let them cool completely.
- Then dip the rabbit’s feet in melted white chocolate diluted with a little coconut oil. Melt the white chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring well in between. It can easily burn and melts quickly. When soaking it is more important to give the top sides rabbit feet which will show a smooth finish. Don’t worry about the back as they won’t be seen. You can use a chocolate dipping tool or even a fork, then transfer the white chocolate dipped feet to a waxed or parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow the chocolate to harden before adding the details of the pink bunny feet. For 18 cupcakes, you will need 36 rabbit feet in total.
- For the rabbit’s feet, the details melt a little more white chocolate and then add a few drops of pink food coloring. Stir until you no longer see any traces of white chocolate. Place in a small squeeze bottle or piping bag with a small round tip. Pipe 3 or 4 points for the rabbit toes (they have four in real life but are often represented with three) and a heart for the main cushion. Set aside and let dry completely before assembling the cupcakes.
Chocolate tip: An alternative to using white chocolate is melting candy. You can order them online from places like Amazon or Michael. They come in many different colors, so feel free to get creative with the design of your bunny feet. For brown rabbits, use milk or dark chocolate instead.
STEP 2: MAKE THE BUNNY TAILS
To make the bunny tails, we cut the mini marshmallows in half. Then, using a toothpick, dip them in lukewarm water and a small bowl of unparalleled white nuggets. Lay them on waxed or parchment paper to dry them.
Advice: Alternatively, you can also dip the marshmallow “tails” in melted white chocolate and coat them in grated coconut for a hairy look.
STEP 3: MAKE THE LOW SUGAR CUPCAKES NOW
To keep our cupcakes low in sugar, we used this Golden yellow cupcake recipe made with SPLENDA. They’re super delicious and you definitely won’t miss out on all the sugar. Let them cool completely before decorating with frosting.
STEP 4: ADD GRASS AND RABBIT BUTTON
If you need sugar free icing recipe, you can search SPLENDA recipes linked here. We used white buttercream frosting, but you can also make a brown bunny version with chocolate and milk frosting paired with bunny feet dipped in dark or milk chocolate.
PIPING GREEN ICE: Pour half of your favorite half tinted buttercream frosting recipe with a few drops of green food coloring into a piping bag fitted with a grass cake decorating tip (use Wilton # 233, # 234 or # 29). Continue to wrap the grass around the edge of the cupcake, leaving the third area in the middle empty. This is where the rabbit’s body will sit.
If you’ve never tried the turf tip before, it’s a lot of fun, but you may need to practice a few moves. As you apply pressure to release the frosting on the cupcake, pipe about ¼ inch, then release the pressure just before you walk away. Holding the piping bag up will give you a clean weed while tilting the bag can make you look longer and more shaggy weed. Both looks are adorable!
Sprinkle tip: If you want to look like tiny little flowers in icy grass as you would normally see in early spring, sprinkle some colored glitter right after coating the grass.
PIPING RABBIT BUTTON: Using a pipe of white icing placed in a piping bag, pipe into a round area for the body. You don’t need a board for this and can just cut off the bottom of a pastry bag about ½ inch wide. If you feel more comfortable with a decorative tip, a wide round tip is what you need.
FILL BUNNY BUTT CAKES
To finish off the “bunny butts” on the cupcakes, add two cookie legs (remember they should be upside down), gently pressing the frosting to secure them. To complete the cupcakes, top them with a marshmallow bunny tail for the ultimate in cupcake cuteness!
GET THE RECIPES WE USED!
Low sugar yellow cupcakes
Try these cupcakes the next time you want a lower sugar version. Perfect for decoration, we used them to make our Bunny Butt cupcakes.
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 Cup SPLENDA® Calorie-Free Sweetener Granule
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 3/4 Cup softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 Cup Skimmed milk powder
- 2 coffee spoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2 coffee spoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place 18 paper cups in muffin cups. Put aside.
Add cake flour, SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, sugar and softened unsalted butter to the bowl of an electric mixer and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed or until the butter is well incorporated into the flour .
Then add the skimmed milk powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix over low heat until blended.
In another bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs and extracts. Then add 2/3 of the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Mix on medium speed until the liquids are simply incorporated into the flour mixture. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then mix on medium-high speed for about 45 to 60 seconds until the dough begins to become lighter. Add remaining liquids and mix until well blended. Scrape the bowl again for another 30 seconds.
Pour the batter into the cupcake molds about halfway through cooking. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the oven comes out clean. Let cool completely before decorating.
Calories: 180kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 4gLarge: 9gSaturated fat: 5gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 150mgSugar: 6g
Baking with SPLENDA® can be sugar-free fun for the whole family!
Save $$$: click the link to Download a COUPON to use in store.
Shop SPLENDA® ONLINE for more sugar-free baking:
Click on the link to get SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener Granulated!
Our sincere thanks to