Sometimes it seems like cashback cards are getting all the fame. After all, they offer cold, solid cash savings.
But a good rewards card can also help you save money or even earn you a free plane ticket. If you’re looking for a solid rewards card, the Alliance Visa Infinite card can do the trick. Here’s what you need to know about this card.
Best for: Spender looking for a good rewards program with points that don’t expire. This card offers one of the best exchange rates for Big Enrich and AirAsia Points, making it ideal for frequent travelers as well.
Main features of the Alliance Visa Infinite credit card
|Benefits||● Up to 8x timeless bonus points for every RM1 spent|
● Points redeemable for gifts, miles and vouchers
● 5% flexible payment plan
|Interest rate||● 6.88% pa – 14.88% pa|
|Annual subscription||● RM438|
● First year canceled
● The following years are canceled with a minimum expenditure of 12,000 RM per year
|Eligibility criteria||● Minimum annual income of RM60,000 per year|
● 21 years and over
How does its rewards program work?
With the Alliance Visa Infinite card, you can earn Timeless Bonus Points (TBP) for almost any transaction:
|eCommerce and electronic wallet refills||8 TBP per RM1 spent|
|Groceries and transactions abroad||5 TBP per RM1 spent|
|Catering, entertainment, automatic billing, contactless and national transactions||1 TBP per RM1 spent|
You can use your points to redeem the following:
- Use your points to redeem lifestyle items, gadgets, and electrical or kitchen appliances.
- Get cash vouchers from AEON, Tesco, Giant, Cold Storage, Uniqlo, Kinokuniya, Starbucks and more. You would need 60,000 TBP to use a RM100 voucher. If you get 8 TBP for every RM1 spent, using your points to redeem those vouchers equals a return of 1.33%.
- Your points can be used to redeem Enrich or AirAsia Big Points:
|Program||TBP required||Redemption of a thousand||Estimated return rate|
|Enrich points||6,000 TBP||1000 enrichment points||2.19%,|
assuming an Enrich point is worth RM 0.0164 (based on hotel redemption rates)
|Highlights of AirAsia||3000 TBP||1000 big points||2.13%,|
assuming a Big Point is worth RM0.008
If you don’t spend a lot on e-commerce or e-wallets, reaching that 8 TBP level might seem difficult. But here’s a tip: use this card to top up your e-wallets. The funds in your e-wallet can then be used to pay for other expenses, such as groceries, bills, or meals. If you had used your card to pay for these categories instead, you would only have earned 1 TBP for every RM1 spent.
These points never expire, so you can save them for huge trades.
How does the Alliance Visa Infinite card compare to other rewards cards?
Is this card better than the competition? We confront it with six other cards to find out:
Note: Estimated redemption rates are correct at time of writing; may change from time to time
At 8 TBP for every RM1 spent, this card offers one of the best refund rates. In our comparison, only the HSBC Visa Signature offers a slightly higher voucher exchange value. But when it comes to redeeming miles, the Visa Infinite Alliance is way ahead of the competition.
Of course, if you are looking to get higher returns on your spending, cash back cards will offer better value (eg up to 15% cash back). But they tend to come with monthly or category caps (eg RM50 per month) which limits your returns. They also generally cannot be used to redeem gifts, vouchers, or airline miles.
On the other hand, the Alliance Visa Infinite card offers a return ranging from 1.33% to 2.19% (based on 8 TBP per RM1 spent), without any limit.
The card also comes with a 0% Flexi payment plan, which allows you to divide your expenses (applicable only for airline ticket purchases, hotel reservations and overseas expenses) into reimbursements. 0% interest for three months. This can be useful if you have a big purchase coming up and want to break them down into smaller repayments to manage your cash flow.
This card has a relatively high annual fee of 438 RM, but you can get it if you spend at least 12,000 RM per year. That’s 1000 RM per month, which might be doable if you bundle all of your spending together on this card.
What we like
- Great rewards program. You can earn points on almost anything, including e-wallet top-ups and automatic billing. Points never expire and can be used to redeem gifts, miles or cash vouchers.
- High reimbursement rates. Your points can be used to easily earn airline miles.
- 0% Flexi payment plan. You can split retail purchases at 0% interest for three months.
What to think about
- High annual fees. This card has a relatively high annual fee of RM438, but you can get it by spending at least RM12,000 per year.
How to be eligible for the Alliance Visa Infinite credit card
To benefit from this card, you must meet the following conditions:
- Minimum annual income of RM60,000 per year
- 21 years and over
- Refund of RM50 when you make three transactions of any amount within 30 days of card activation.
- Up to RM300 cashback when you make five consecutive transactions with a minimum of RM50 per transaction.
- Up to RM100 when you sign up for automatic billing.
Our sincere thanks to